Sunday, May 17, 2015

Driving in Italy

I was really excited to drive in Italy, but it had been awhile since I drove in a foreign country, I was concerned about navigation and by the reputation of Italian drivers as being a little bit crazy.

I arrived in Milan and picked up my Renault Twingo, which felt like it could fit in the back of my Wrangler.  It had only 13 km on it and was brand new (I put 1,500km on it during the course of the week).

The drive down to Umbria was without incident.  The rest stops were plentiful and I had rented a GPS so I wouldn't have to worry about getting lost.

I drove a lot in Umbria and then went to Rome and Milan.  My GPS crapped out in Rome so I ended up my trip relying on old school maps, Italy's excellent signage and my very fortunate sense of direction.

Here are some of my thoughts on driving in Italy:
  • Italians believe they are race car drivers, they speed and tailgate constantly.
  • Driving in Umbrian hill towns means navigating two way roads as wide as your tiny rental car.
  • Sometimes these roads end in dead ends so be comfortable backing up.
  • Umbria has a lot of gravel roads, it can be dusty.
  • Gas is expensive, fortunately the cars mileage is superior to American cars.
  • Manual transmissions really are best.
  • Driving is an amazing way to see the countryside and get off the beaten path.
Caridad driving down a two way street with pedestrian traffic in Lugnano in Teverina

Off roading in my little Twingo...poor little car!
The Road between Rome and Milan along the coast.

Someone found a good parking space!



1 comment:

leslie said...

Great post ! Can you write about traveling with your painting supplies and how you managed wet paintings along your travels? What art supplies did you bring and any tips? You mentioned mailing your paintings, how did this work? Thanks for all your wonderful insight!!