Monday, May 11, 2015

Top 10 Reasons to visit Umbria

10. The food.  I had wild foraged asparagus and home grown bacon, amazing pizza and fresh pasta.  The food was simple but exquisite in its freshness and flavor.

9. Charming unknown hill towns to visit.  Many don't even have hotels but places to stay can be found in AirBnB and similar and its a great experience.  I stayed in Porchiano Del Monte.

8.  It's the green heart of Italy.  There are many natural beauties to be found.  Just driving through the countryside was a constant delight.

7.  It's full of monsters!  Check out the Parco Dei Mostri not far from Rome.

6.  No crowds.  Unlike Tuscany, Umbria is just enough off the beaten path that you can enjoy your trip without the constant barrage of tourists and tourist traps.

5. Festivals like Penna In Fiore which j went to and also the famous Spoleto Jazz Festival

4.  It's Affordable.  Umbria is relatively inexpensive.  I was constantly surprised by how little things cost.

3.  Assisi.  A spectacular city that was home to St. Francis.

2.  You can stay on a farm or vineyard that doubles as a B&B by staying at an agritourismo.

1.  The people.  I was completely welcomed by the people I met there.  From my host Caridad, to the little old ladies of Porchiano del Monte that. We're concerned by my walking out of the house without shoes.  To my hosts neighbors who coined for me and treated me like a daughter.  It was like coming home. 



No comments: