Tuesday, September 01, 2015

København

Got to spend my last day in Denmark in wonderful Copenhagen.  Took the train in and walked to Nyhavn and back.  Did some shopping, got soaked in the rain, got stuck on an escalator, had a pølser (hotdog), bought pastry and found an amazing clock at Illums Bolighus (my favorite store in the world) to bring home.

1. Illums Bolighus.  The best store in the world for Nordic design, this is the real deal.

 
And yes, I literally got stuck on the escalator.  They eventually had to cut my skirt to get me out.  Luckily I didn't have a wardrobe malfunction!


2. Materials for making the beautiful Danish Porcelain at Royal Copenhagen.  Yes the blue is mostly cobalt.  Swoon.  My uncle worked for them growing up and I remember touring the workshops where each piece of porcelain is hand painted.  I was fascinated by it.


3.  Denmark has one of the highest rates of bicycles in the world.  50% of Danes bike to work.  Everywhere you go in Cooenhagen are piles of bicycles and 98% of them aren't even locked!

Here's the preferred SUV version for bringing your kids to school. 



4. Famous Tivoli gardens.  Haven't been in forever but a must see if you go in the Summer.


5. Nyhavn at the end of Strøget (the main walking street which runs from the main square to the harbor. (Also where Illums is located!) 


6.  Danish pølser are yummy.  Traditionally they were bright red but those are hard to find these days.  I always liked the regular ones anyway.


6.  Final pastry at La Glacé, I always recommend a stop here for afternoon coffee for anyone who goes to Copenhagen. It was raining so most people were inside. 





No comments: