Wednesday, January 16, 2008

1.15.08 - Kelly


Normally I wouldn't try to paint someone I had never met, however I wanted a challenge and thought this would be a good one. I don't think it's that bad for 2 hours of work. The dimensions are about 5" x 12".

For those of you who don't know who Kelly Slater is, he is probably the best Professional Surfer of his generation. I'm not a surf fan, although I think it's a beautiful sport. He was on the cover of "Outside" magazine recently, which is what I used for this painting. I think he has a very compelling face. Hopefully I did it some justice, the shot is from slightly below, which proved somewhat of a challenge!

2 comments:

MR said...

Very cool! Can't believe it was done in two hours! and was it a coincidence that you posted it right above the Vermeer piece that you probably had worked on for a while longer? In this piece I love the expression in his face that you've captured. and the use of colors. the light shades of blue, yellow ochres, all the highlights.

tinaduryea said...

Thanks so much, and yes the Vermeer took substantially longer:-) I am trying to do something a little different with these small pieces, that I hope will translate into my "more finished" work!