Friday, April 12, 2013

The Child That Survives

They say that an Artist is the Child that Survives.   But who was that child?  A friend recently posted about her childhood influences and it surprised me how different they were than mine.  So I decided to make a survey of mine:

The Magic Garden was a Childrens Program broadcast in the NYC area.  The chuckle berry bush, talking squirrels and two pretty hippies with long hair who played the guitar.

NYC.  My parents believed in exposing us to the culture of NYC and we spent a lot of time in the city.  Broadway plays were a favorite treat...we would go to a restaurant in the theater district that served fondue...and we'd go back after the play for Chocolate Fondue.  It was magical.


The Chronicles of Prydain.  My favorite series of books...I read them until the fell apart.  I couldn't decide whether I want to be the hero or heroine, but I did have a crush on Gwydion.




Horses and Ponies.  I was a girl who loved horses and I was fortunate enough to have parents who supported it.  I spent many a day at the barn.


Bridge at Arles.  When I was around 7 we went to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam.  I remember standing beneath a painting of the Bridge at Arles and wondering "How did he do that?".  I was fascinated....and hooked. I no longer count Van Gogh as a favorite, but I will always be grateful for his appeal to my 7 year old self.
 Denmark.  My Mom is from Denmark and I spent many holidays and vacations visiting family there...the culture is unique and I think much like a H.C. Andersen Fairytale (not the Disney version).

The Olympics.  I believed I could be an Olympian....either Downhill skiing or Equestrian Jumping.  I had a Great Uncle who had competed in the Bobsled and I grew with Show Jumping Olympians so it seemed a reasonable goal.



Road Trips.  My Parents loved them and we had a big station wagon to use on them.  We drove across the country, the length of the Eastern Seaboard, Canada and much of Western Europe.


The Cold War.  I am a child of the Cold War.  I remember on a family trip, driving to the border between East and West Germany...this is how I remember it.  Russia fascinated and terrified me.



Star Wars.  Okay, Who wasn't a fan?  But I sincerely believed for awhile that I could grow up to be a Jedi.
Hospitals.  I was healthy but not everyone in my family was.  I spent a lot of my childhood in Hospitals.  Perhaps this is why I had a rich imagination.


No comments: